While hubby was scanning recipes (yes, he likes to help me along by finding new dishes for me to try) he came across one he thought he and I both would like. While it is a Sloppy Joe spicy dish with no meat, it sounds delicious. And for those of you who just have to have some meat for your dinner, let me recommend that you just brown some up and add to it as it is a very versatile recipe that you can make your own by changing up or adding to the recipe. We will be trying it. not only does it sound delicious, it has a certain heat level I love, and it uses Texas Pete hot sauce, two varieties in fact, of which my husband loves. So we both should like this one. And if you are cutting carbs by not eating breads, eat a Sloppy Joe lettuce wrap – it works just about any way you want it to. We plan on trying it this weekend, along with some grilling out.
And as a side note, we made the “Chipotle Salsa Baked Chicken” and it is so good – i believe I will be making it again! that chipotle salsa is so good….but it does have some heat to it so just keep that in mind if you make it….recipe posted in “chicken” section. Give it a try, also!
Have a great weekend!
Vegetarian Sloppy Joe with Black Beans
and Texas Pete Chipotle Cream:
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 celery, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced (with or without seeds, depending on how much heat you want)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. black beans, soaked overnight & cooked (or canned black beans, drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 tsp. Texas Pete® Chipotle Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp. Texas Pete® Hotter Hot Sauce
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in sauge pan until simmering, then saute onions, celery, peppers, & garlic – 6-8 minutes. Add beans, tomato sauce, tomato paste, ketchup, Texas Pete Chipotle Hot Sauce,
1 teaspoon of Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce, heavy cream and Worcestershire. Simmer 18-20 minutes. Serve over sandwich roll of your choice.