I made a big stack of this but it didn’t last long…… Mother’s Day visits from my daughters and grandkids took care of this batch. What a versatile recipe – change the type of chocolate you melt, change the toppings, and man you can have some fun with this one.
Here’s the version I made and the ingredients I used that put a lot of smiles on some peeps’ faces.
Cowboy Bark – my way
16 Oz chocolate, (suggested to use 72% dark chocolate for part of the chocolate and the rest in milk chocolate- I used 4 different 4-oz bars – 1-4 oz Ghirardelli Intense Dark Sea Salt Soiree Chocolate with crushed almonds; 4 oz Ghirardelli semisweet Chocolate baking bar; 4 oz. Ghirardelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate bar, and 4 oz. Baker’s Sweet chocolate baking bar-these just happened to be the flavors that my Winn Dixie had)
1 1/2 cups mini pretzels
8 chocolate stuffed oreos, chopped
1/3 cup toffee bits
1/3 cup coarsely chopped peanuts (roasted, lightly salted)
1/3 cup coarsely chopped almonds (roasted lightly salted)
Sea Salt to sprinkle (I actually skipped this step with the salt of the other stuff but it would depend on the toppings if i used this or not)
1. Use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Have all ingredients chopped and ready for assembly before starting.
2. Coarsely chop chocolate or break in to smaller chunks to help smoother melting.
3. Heat chocolate in microwave safe bowl on high to melt, stirring every 15 seconds. Don’t over-cook – or you can use a double boiler to melt chocolate which is what I did.
4. Pour chocolate on to parchment paper and use an offset knife or spatula to spread the chocolate into an approximate 10 inch by 15 inch size and about 1/8 inch thick.
5. Sprinkle with pretzels, chopped oreos, toffee bits, peanuts, almonds, and if using, sprinkle with sea salt. Allow to set at room temperature for at least an hour or in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or more. Break into pieces or cut with knife into pieces. Enjoy! And what a great tray to take to a gathering – you are sure to be the hit!