You will want to make these…and soon! These are great for tailgating, for Thanksgiving, for brunch, for holiday mornings, or for just about any morning! Easy to make, put in refrigerator the night before, bake the next morning, throw what toppings you want on them and chow down! There won’t be any left, I can assure you.
Loaded Grits Cakes
6 cups chicken broth (can use fat free – I do)
1 ½ cups quick cooking grits (not instant, though)
1 cup shredded sharp (or extra sharp for a little extra flavor- or some smoked gouda would also be good)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
½ to 1 Tsp salt (or to taste – got to salt those grits!
½ tsp ground pepper (or to taste)
½ tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
A pinch of cayenne pepper (or to taste)
2 Tbsp melted butter
For Garnish after cooked cakes are baked: Sour cream, shredded cheese, cooked crumbled bacon (or your choice of toppings)
- Lightly grease a 13×9 inch baking pan.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a boil over medium high heat. Stir in grits, stirring constantly, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes stirring frequently to prevent lumps. Stir in parsley when done. Pour into 13×9 pan and let cool slightly. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Unmold grits onto a large cutting board and cut into 2 dozen squares.
All cut up and ready for the oven!
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
5. Brush a large rimmed baking sheet with melted butter. Place grits squares on pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Brush tops of cakes with more melted butter and turn over and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on both sides.
Nice and all golden Brown and just waiting for toppings!
6. Garnish with toppings of choice and serve.
I added cheese on all of them, then added bacon on some, sausage on some, and left some plain, sprinkled chopped green onions on all of them, and dusted with a bit of parsley to make them look pretty! And they went over quite well at Sunday School!
And winners, your cookbooks will be mailed tomorrow (Thursday). Hubby has had some eye surgeries the past two weeks (one each week) and I haven’t been getting out much other than taking him back and forth to the eye doctor! I will mail tomorrow! Thanks for understanding! Have a great weekend! Cooler weather is on its way. Well, a little cooler, anyway.